I DARE you to join this Pillow Fight! {Guest Post}

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hi friends! I'm happy to have Carlee here today to share a pretty fantastic thing she's doing over at her blog. So read up and I hope to see MANY of YOU participate in this.


I am so excited to be here at Cap Creations! My favorite piece of jewelry (other than my wedding ring) is a beautiful necklace from Cap Creations that has my three children's name on it with the inscription forever mine! I simply treasure it!


My name is Carlee, and I have a little blog with my sister Alyssa called Ladybird Ln. Today, I am going to talk about a FUN pillow contest, for charity I am having on my blog, Pillow Fight--For a Cause!

Every month on our blog, we feature a charity, service organization, etc... and a project we crafters/bloggers can unite in to help with that cause!  This project was actually inspired by Cathy here at Cap Creations, the very first project I spotlighted was the Bring Brady Home project.  I was amazed at Cathy's generosity, and thought I wanted my blog to help out in some way.  It has been a lot of fun to feature monthly service projects, and find ways we can all help! 
This month I am featuring a project very near and dear to my heart. I have a great friend, Malynn, who is 14 years old, and has undergone some tough TOUGH medical stuff recently. She has been in and out of the hospital for the past 6 months. One might expect after all the medical problems she has endured she would be bitter and resolved. But not Malynn, she is amazing in so many ways. Instead of focusing on her issues she wants to help others. Malynn is an incredible seamstress, at the age of 14 she far surpasses my sewing ability!  Just look at one of her latest purses..
Yup, she is amazing!  With her incredible sewing talent, she has made it a goal to donate 100 bright cheerful pillow cases to Primary Children's Medical Center, to brighten up the patients rooms!  When she was in the hospital it was so comforting to have her own pillow.  

I decided I wanted to help her out with this great cause.... and what better way than a
PILLOW FIGHT!  It is called Pillow Fight--For a Cause! Essentially this is a pillow contest where you can enter  ANY handmade pillow.  You can enter your homemade ruffly throw pillows, your sweet decorative pillows, your fleecy flower pillows, your bedazzled pillowcases... pretty much anything pillow related, that you have made. THE CLINCHER IS, in order to enter this contest you must donate a pillowcase, one pillowcase per entry! A bright, cheery, fun pillow case, to brighten up the day of someone in need. You can either send it to me, and I will let Malynn donate it to Primary Children's Medical Center (Salt Lake City), or you can donate it to a local hospital, women's shelter, etc. You just have to let me know that you donated one!  You can enter at my blog from June 15-22.

We have some FABULOUS prizes for this contest. HUNDREDS of dollars worth of prizes!  We will have guest judges narrow down the pillow field to ten, and then open it up to voting. The top three pillows will receive some amazing prizes. The winner will receive a $40 gift card to Cap Creations as part of the prize pack.  Additional sponsors for this event include... Kati Cupcake, Cap Creations, Sew Obsessed, Vinylize It, Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Naptime Crafters... And Malynn and I are even going to throw in some prizes. We will also have one random prize for anyone who links up--sound terrific, we think so!  For more information click HERE!

So are you in? I sure hope so!  Are you worried about making a pillowcase?  Don't be, creating a pillow case is simple, fast, and fun. It is a great beginner project, for any age.  This would be a great project to teach your child how to sew! Their are dozens of different ways to make a pillowcase, I shared a tutorial HERE for an easy basic pillowcase!



Here is a little pillowcase inspiration!  These are all homemade pillowcases made by me or given to me by family members!

Please come join the Pillow Fight, on our blog! You can link up your pillow creations
June 15-22!

I would love to donate 100 pillow cases! I can't imagine how hard it would be to have a child in a hospital for long periods of time.  I hope in some small way these pillowcases can be a comfort, and reminder of home.

I am trying to spread the word about this contest.  Please put a button on your blog, or contact me, I would love to come to your place and guest post about it!



Thank you so much Cap Creations for letting me crash your fabulous blog today, and please consider entering this fun contest!!

Anytime Carlee! I think it's great what you are doing! And believe it or not I WILL be making and donating a pillow case myself!!! Can you believe that?!  I, that just took my first sewing class at the beginning of this year! Yup you can count on me for this one! ;) And if I can do this I know ANYONE can.

So I encourage DARE you to participate too! Isn't it worth the smile on the face of a sick child? Let me know in the comments if you will participate. Come back Monday when I will have a very special guest blogger that will be sharing a pillow case tutorial. You won't want to miss it!

5 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to make some pillowcases for this event. We always took our daughter's pillowcases to the hospital. This is an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Lori! I was hoping you would join in! Can't wait to see what you come up with and good luck on winning some prizes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Cathy for helping me get the word out! You are the best, and I can not wait to see your pillowcases!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very welcome Carlee! And please don't expect the pillowcases to be anything great. lol! I am very new to sewing and I just hope they turn out period. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an Awesome Idea... I will try and embroider a pillow case... But not sure If I can get it done with all thats going on. I will be in touch, better late than never. I loved having my own pillow in the Ukraine... It is amazing how some things can make such a big difference. God Bless you and thank you for helping us too.
    The Hartmans

    ReplyDelete